Friday, August 3, 2012

Turon at Handugan

Unless you are Filipino or have Filipino friends, you may not be familiar with the dessert; turon.  This is made with the squarish banana you see at the market which is fried and often made with jackfruit and some brown sugar, wrapped in an egg roll wrapper then fried. There are several variations.  I used to make it with a bit of apricot jam inside.

It is not easy to find good turon. The ones I buy in desperation from Valero's in Carson is often too overdone, too sweet and the banana sometimes is not ripe enough.

Today, I made a new discovery. I stopped by a little place called Handugan at 21616 Figueroa St. in Carson, CA.  They had all sorts of dishes that looked good but I didn't have the time to sit and eat there.  I noticed the room was not air conditioned and it was hot, though they had fans going.  I was about to ask them if they had turon when I spotted some.  They looked light enough so I bought 4.  As soon as I got in my car, I decided to have one as my lunch.  It was the fastest lunch in history.



So far, that is the best turon I have had in a long time.  The skin (wrapper) was thin and light. The banana was sweet, soft (not over-ripe) and the jackfruit was perfect. If you haven't had a turon in your life, I suggest you head on over to Handugan and buy a bunch.  They are 60 cents each and they are a good size.  I will have to try their pancits, sizzling bangus, tortang talong and lechon kawali; all Filipino specialties.

In the meantime, let's start with dessert.....turon.

No comments:

Post a Comment